Saturday, November 6, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM KABUL

The Marine Security Detachment threw one of the best USMC Birthday Balls I have ever gone to last night. Pictured are myself, LtCol Ian Brasure (friend from my Phoenix days 15 years ago), and LTC Paul Riley (one of my compadres in the L/EMB office I work in. It turns out that the Birthday Ball is one of THE biggest social events going in Kabul, period. What is normally a chance for brother Marines and their significant others to celebrate the birthday of our beloved Corps morphed into Ambassadors, Generals, every Marine in town, and quite a few good looking ladies from the Embassy and the Kabul area. Fantastic ceremony with Major General Mills (CG, I MEF (Fwd)) as the guest of honor introduced by Ambassador Eikenberry, followed by a tremendous meal, and dancing - all in an enormous tent floored with Afghan rugs. Marines in cammies, Marines in cammies armed, the Marines of the MSG in Dress Blues like myself, and a couple of Marines in Mess Dress. A crazy Ball, but a hell of a lot of fun. I prefer my deployed birthdays like the one I celebrated in Ramadi, but this one was probably the best I ever attended, in spite of the location and being dry for us subject to GO #1, and in spite of going "stag" this year (again).

3 comments:

  1. sounds awesome - and you look beyond dashing.

    -C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude - Every Marine Ball that is put on in by the MSG Detachments at the embassies is one of the key social events of the year. It doesn't matter whether you are in Kabul, Bogata, Aman, or London. The Ball is a BIG DEAL.

    That said, it is very cool that you were part of the celebrations in Kabul.

    I remember back in '84 in Aman.... but that is another story for another time.

    Happy Birthday Marine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry I missed your birthday. Sounds like you had a great time. So, did you dance?

    ReplyDelete